Steps for a safe chamber check of a semi automatic pistol:
- Bring the firearm to the ready position.
- Keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, place the fingers of the support hand under the muzzle and grasp the slide in front of the trigger guard
- Pull the slide back with the support hand enough to verify the chamber is empty
- If you are not strong enough to pull the slide back with this method use the following
- With the support hand, grip the slide over the top behind the ejection port
- Push forward with the strong hand while pulling back with the support hand
- Move the slide just enough to verify the chamber is empty
- Be careful not to move the slide enough to eject a round and chamber a new round.
At Protection Training Associates we teach safe techniques for doing a chamber and magazine check for several types of guns as well as low light checks. Please visit us at Protection Training Associates Classes to determine the class that is right for you.
PTA is an Award Winning firearms training institute. Voted best firearms training in the Greater Augusta area by Market Surveys of America 2012.